Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Lunch: refreshing asian noodle and vegetable salad

It would appear that my dog, Jake, is a better blogger than me. Having just posted, he is encouraging me: "Go ahead, just tap out what you're eating for lunch!"

Todays lunch is what i've been thinking about since i woke up--at 3.30 am unable to sleep, thinking only of this salad and when i would be able to eat it. I waited until 12. o'clock sharp. I could have eaten it earlier--much earlier--but then I'd feel deprived when lunchtime came around. and i've been amply rewarded for the waiting: the salad tasted even better than I hoped, even with my hours of watching the clock in anticipation.

Having all of the ingredients in my kitchen and in my herb garden, and in the mood for sleek simplicity of the vegetables rather than complexity of a dressing, I tossed the vegetables together with benefit of only a shake or two of rice vinegar. The vegetables were cut up coarsely and, okay, a bit haphazardly, the herbs simply torn. The peanuts--roasted and salted--thrown in whole. the whole thing together=refreshing, satisfying, deliciousness. I even drank the few spoonfuls of vinegar left over at the bottom of the bowl. and as soon as I finish digesting i'm going swimming!

Refreshing Tuesday Asian Noodle and Vegetable Salad

Big handful mixed watercress, arugula (rocket), baby spinach
About a cup of diced-ish cabbage
1/2 cucumber, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
Rice vinegar to taste
1/2 to 1 cup cooked, cold, ramen-type noodles tossed with soy sauce and sesame oil
Big handful each: fresh mint, cilantro, basil
Sprinkling of chives or sliced green onion, if you have it
Big handful roasted salted peanuts

Make a bed of the watercress, arugula, baby spinach, cabbage, cucumber and red onion then shake shake shake on as much rice vinegar as you like. I love sour--so i'm pretty generous with the vinegar.

Top with the soy-sesame dressed noodles, garnish with the mint, cilantro, basil, chives or green onion, and peanuts.

Eat with chopsticks from a big fetching bowl....

No comments:

Post a Comment