Sunday, May 17, 2009

Come with me! we'll eat, we'll cook, we'll sing and dance and Just. Have. Fun.

Whenever and wherever I go, much of my energy is devoted to shlepping foods: bringing snippets of the most delicious things i can find from here to to share with those I love there, wherever here and there might be:

Meyer lemons from california to new york, truffles from alba and umbria, dried beans from greece and california, bagels from new york to my uk home along greek lemons from zakynthos, tandoori marinade from uk to my buddies in napoli....when i came back from poland i had to empty my suitcase of nearly all of my clothing at the airport to make room for the weight of the pickles! (and it was worth it when I chomped into their briny juiciness: one good pickle is worth far more than a suitcase filled with undies, and i was happy to leave behind sweaters, shoes, an old coat, to be replaced by divine homemade liqueurs, tangy aromatic sauerkaut, meaty sausages, savory smoked fish, herb and flower-scented honey, and the best raspberry jam i've ever spooned into). Who needs clothing when you can dress your insides so beautifully?

I can't email my foraged-for goodies but i can send you cyper-postcards from the kitchens and the tables and the gardens--I want you to be there with me, from the pizzerie of Napoli to the tavernas of greece, the bistrot of france to the taquerias of mexico, the delis of nyc.

Alas, I can't stash a nice lamb chop from a greek taverna into my handbag to bring home to you like I do for my doggy jake--I"m the one on the plane smelling delightfully meaty--visit his blog http://jakesdoggiebag.blogspot.com/--but i can bring you tales and stories and recipes.

And if/when we do meet up: be sure to ask me whats in my handbag. there will certainly be something yummy to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment